Board Meeting Highlights for May 2019
For Immediate Release
May 29, 2019
GUELPH, Ontario – The May meeting of the Upper Grand District School Board was held on May 28, 2019. The following provides highlights from the meeting.
Elementary Principal/Vice-Principal Transfers and Appointments
The following Principal transfers are effective Sept. 3, 2019:
- Saskia Marquis from Ken Danby PS to Victoria Terrace PS
- Blair Conrad from Waverley Drive PS to Ken Danby PS
- Natasha Skerritt from Sir Isaac Brock PS to Salem PS
- Chad Guyitt from Eramosa PS to Sir Isaac Brock PS
- Tammy Reiner from Grand Valley & District PS (acting) to Drayton PS
- Rhonda Gingrich from Centre Peel PS to Victoria Cross PS
- Christine Kay from June Avenue PS to Centre Peel PS
- Shannon Spike from Princess Margaret PS to Alma PS
- Mark Turner from Princess Margaret PS (acting) to Princess Margaret PS
- Brent Ellery from Elora PS to Montgomery Village PS
- Curt McQueen from W.C. Winegard PS to Elora PS
- Rochelle Murray-Cako from Central PS to W.C. Winegard PS
- Donna McMillan from Harris Mill PS to Central PS
The following Principal appointments are effective Sept. 3, 2019:
- Amy Ewing from Waverley Drive PS (VP) to Waverley Drive PS
- Trisha Drohan-Brodeur from Jean Little PS (VP) to Eramosa PS
- Jill Woytko from Kortright Hills PS (VP) to June Avenue PS
- Tim Dickieson from Westminster Woods PS (VP) to Maryborough PS
- Carla Anderson from John Galt PS (VP) to Victory PS
- Shashana Hare from Paisley Road PS (VP) to Harris Mill PS
The following Vice-Principal transfers are effective Sept. 3, 2019:
- Andrew Cloutier from Westwood PS to Westminster Woods PS
- Jason Boyce from Arthur PS to Minto-Clifford PS
- Barbra Tomkins from Princess Elizabeth PS to Arthur PS
- Dan Ardis from Hyland Heights ES to Princess Elizabeth PS
- Andrea Papavasiliou from Princess Margaret PS to Hyland Heights ES
- Lindsey Tremblay from King George PS to John Galt PS
- Shan Robertson from Brisbane PS to Island Lake PS
The following Vice-Principal appointments are effective Sept. 3, 2019:
- Jennifer Oussoren to Waverley Drive PS
- Deanne Prins to Jean Little PS
- Dawn Airdrie-Donovan to Elora PS
- Jackie Irwin to Kortright Hills PS
- Ibrahim Akyol to Westwood PS
- Kelley Jones to King George PS
- Sheena Grinwis to Paisley Road PS
- Blayne Primeau to Rickson Ridge PS
- Marianne Millsap to Centennial Hylands PS
Mental Health Week Update
The UGDSB’s Mental Health and Addictions Lead Jenny Marino provided an update on Child and Youth Mental Health Week. Mental Health Week was celebrated at all UGDSB schools and offices from May 6-10. A committee with representatives from staff and community organizations met several times to plan activities and resources for the week. The committee held focus groups with students ahead of Mental Health Week to learn more about what resources would be beneficial to students. Schools were provided with resources including mental health and wellness activity charts, announcements, handouts and additional resources. The themes for this year’s Mental Health Week were Celebrate YOU: Building Confidence, Connection and Wellness, and Have a SUPER Week, focusing on social connections, understanding emotions, personal health, empathy and resilience. All UGDSB schools hold events and initiatives that focus on mental health and well-being throughout the year, however Mental Health Week provides an additional opportunity to come together to raise awareness for child and youth mental health and well-being.
New Guelph Secondary School – Building Project Report
Capital & Renewal Projects Department staff presented the New Guelph Secondary School Building Project Report, in accordance with Policy 309.
As background, the UGDSB’s submission of its 2017-18 Capital Priorities included a request to the Ministry of Education to build a new 1,200 pupil place secondary school in Guelph. In the spring of 2018, the Ministry announced their approval of funding for the board to proceed with a new 900 pupil place secondary school. The project was approved to address accommodation pressures in the board’s existing Guelph high schools.
The Building Project Report outlines the size, type and scope of the new Guelph secondary school project, as well as a target budget for the project and preliminary timelines.
Based on the estimated time to complete the design work, obtain site plan approval and tender at an appropriate time, it is anticipated that the school will be completed for September 2022. The project architect for the new school will be obtained through a procurement process and presented to the Board of Trustees for consideration, in accordance with Policy 308.?
Trustees approved the following revised board policies: 502 Child Abuse and Protection and 606 Assessment and Evaluation. The following protocol was received for information: P12 Suicide Prevention, Intervention and Postvention Protocol.
Trustees approved the release of draft Policy 203 Video Surveillance for public consultation. The board is seeking feedback on this draft policy until June 28, 2019. To review the draft documents and provide your feedback, please visit http://www.wedoitech.com/board/policy/policy-203-video-surveillance/.
To view all UGDSB policies and procedures, and to provide feedback on draft policies, visit?www.wedoitech.com/policy.
The next regular monthly meeting will be held on Tues. June 25, 2019, at the Guelph Board Office, 500 Victoria Road North. Everyone is welcome to attend. The meeting begins at 7 p.m.